Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mr. Bailey goes to Washington (again)

I was in Washington Feb 10-12 to chat with Congress. You may recall that last year I went to DC for the Space Exploration Alliance Legislative Blitz. This is an annual event where space advocates meet with Congressional staffers (and the occasional Senator or Representative!) to discuss space issues and do a bit of informal education. This year we chose to organize the Blitz to fall just after the new 2009 NASA budget request was released by the White House. I realized how much I'd learned in my previous trips when I had a conversation about appropriated verses allocated funds and how continuing resolutions to the omnibus bill was bad for everyone. (Did you get all that?)

The 2008 SEA Blitz was successful with over 100 meetings on the Hill. I was typically grouped with several other people--including an 8th grader who came with her dad. She was well spoken and knew a lot about NASA's prize competitions and the COTS program. We ended up having so many meetings scheduled that I even talked to a few staffers alone instead of with a group!

The trip was fun, but unexpectedly COLD. I figured we'd get into the 30's, but one morning it was 12 degrees. That is ridiculous. I don't own clothing appropriate for that kind of weather! I almost bought a $250 wool coat to stay warm (it was a nice coat). My journey became more perilous when the icy cold weather caused traffic accidents and shut down the highway going to the Dulles airport. I missed my flight and had to stay in Virginia overnight!

Normally I prefer to fly from Reagan National (DCA) in the heart of DC and accessible via the Metro. It is so easy to get in and out of there! However, this time I was flying out to California and had managed to get a seat on the new Virgin America airline. Even with all of the delays and unexpected overnight stay, it was worth it! Everything from the check-in line to the cabin lighting was cool, sleek, and hip. I even ordered a snack from the touchscreen entertainment system at my seat! If you ever get the chance to fly VA, just do it. It is a great example of how well an airline can run!

3 comments:

Mike said...

You know I have to bust your chops now.....living in DC, I have seen it all in terms of weather.

Didn't you check the weather in advance? I know even in Florida once or twice a year it gets cold so you should have something! 250 for a coat that time of year is ridiclous, what store were you looking at?

I can't say I was surprised by the traffic that Tuesday night you were trying to get out of DC. VDOT/MDOT have never learned their lesson with snow/ice storms.

I hear good things about that airline but it is expensive (the few times I have looked). Of course, they are new so they aren't going to many places, yet.

Tim said...

I DID check the weather in advance. I saw nothing about "feels like 7" in the forecast!

The $250 coat (on sale!) was from Johnson & Murphy, a high-end store at Union Station. VERY tempting and VERY nice. The coat was totally worth $250, but I wouldn't have much chance to wear it.

Traffic was not supposed to be that bad, but there were 3 accidents on the road ahead of us.

As for Virgin America, it was one of the cheapest fares going from DC to San Jose area. I heard about some deals on SFO to San Diego for under $50. Besides, the experience is worth an extra $20-30. I was entertained and comfortable for the entire cross-country flight! (Did I mention you can play DOOM on the entertainment system?)

Mike said...

First, never buy merchandise from Union Station, the entire place is a ripoff. You would have had better lucky at a mainstream store at Ballston Common Mall, Pentagon City, Friendship Heights (all are metro accessable).

DC weather is impossible to predict. That being said, don't you own any sweaters?

The snow that Tuesday night - I think you wouldn't have made it regardless. It took me almost 3 hours to get home that night on a bus no less. I slept for a 1/2 hour and the bus hadn't moved more than a 1/2 mile. I know how you had to get to Dulles, the only upside was hardly any bridges. If the freebie lanes were moving which you would have been on, you would have been set. I suspect most flights got cancelled that night anyway.

Every time I have looked at Virgin America it was over 350 bucks (I got a friend out in the San Diego area). Jetblue is just as high although they go into Long Beach from Dulles. It is a startup airline so I understand part of the cost in addition to what you pointed out about the seats and playing computer games.