Thursday, November 03, 2005

Prep for Launch

This week is crazy as we prepare for our flights from the Shuttle Landing Facility at KSC this Saturday. Friday Jen and I are heading up to Titusville to prepare. We are staying until Monday so that we can look for an apartment. Our lease here in Ft. Lauderdale runs out on November 30, so we need to get moving! To make things a bit more exciting, we don't have any free weekends between now and December, so we'll be packing and moving mid-week. (I don't know that I've ever moved on a weekday.)

Our job situation is continually improving. Discussions are underway to develop a position for me at the Florida Space Research Institute (FSRI). I would be contracted from FSRI to work with ZERO-G to attract and coordinate research flights in Florida--the part of my current job I really like to do! I may also be put in charge of highly technical projects like the MoonROx NASA Centennial Challenge. Jen is still looking for a systems engineering job at the Cape but may be able to continue her employment with ZERO-G while she looks.

South Florida is still a mess with 70% of the traffic lights still missing or inoperative. Large sections are also still without power. I can only imagine what it must be like in New Orleans right now. I forget how much of my world is dependant on electricity and well-stocked stores! We still have not gone and replaced the food we lost, partially because stores have been closing early.

No comments: