Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye

Transformers movie poster | click for the official movie websiteLast night Jen and I went out to see the new Transformers movie in Merritt Island with some friends. It was GREAT! MUCH better than I imagined.

There are a LOT of differences between the 2007 live-action movie and the 1980's cartoon and animated movie. LOTS. One glaring difference is that humble sidekick "Bumblebee" is a Camaro instead of a VW Beetle. I understand marketing, I really do. And I will admit that he did look HOT as a 2007 Camaro.

Despite the altered storyline and visual changes, the basic themes and characters were kept intact. The cheezy Good vs. Evil banter was still present between Optimus Prime and Megatron. And, yes, Optimus had the same commanding yet gentile voice we remember from our childhoods (best decision EVER).

If you are looking for a deep, thoughtful movie please go elsewhere. If you have tunnel vision and can not see past the original Generation One Transformers TV show and movie, you will not like what you see. However, if you want a good movie with amazing special effects that reimagines a piece of your childhood then this is the movie for you. "Autobots, transform and roll out!"

PS- the new theme song is pretty cool too!

1 comment:

Mike said...

I saw this movie last Thursday night in Largo, Maryland. Tim is exactly right on this - the special effects are pretty good. I think Michael Bay worried about the effects and Spielberg worried about the story. I enjoyed the movie as well, although I thought some of the jokes in the 1st half hour or so got old, but outside of that, it's worth full price.