Monday, June 12, 2006

Pink slips, restructuring, and a new phone!

This is so big, I'll blog it myself! I got my official Layoff Notification letter from FSRI today. WOW! This is my second time being "let go" due to corporate changes, but the first time that the whole office has gone with me. The bill dissolving the organization has passed in the FL legislature and been signed by Gov. Bush. This means no more FSRI after August 31! Sad, we've done great stuff and I've had lots of fun the short time I've been here. On the up side, we're getting a new "Space Florida" state agency that should have more clout, more resources, and less confusion. Lots of emphasis on the "should".

The other big deal is that I got a Treo! Yes, I have joined the ranks of the uber-geeks that can check email from their phones. And write back. With formatting and color. It is great! It sychronizes with my Outlook calendar and contacts so that I always have the information I need at my fingertips. [For those other geeks out there, it is the 700p from Sprint using the EVDO network. F A S T.] It's all to support my new company, Sky Fire Lab, as we work to get operational. This is one step in the direction of financial independance and personal freedom. Plus I can watch cartoons on the toilet.

More news? Well, OK! How's this: as of June 15 Jen will no longer be a full-time ZERO-G employee! They are restructuring the positions as they add new people and her department is being absorbed by new staff. Not the worst news--she was looking for a new job--but not great news as she doesn't have a new job. Or does she...?


If you call Jen, be sure you realize she's on Pacific time for the next month while she works
at NASA Ames Research Center in San Jose, CA. She's been contracted to organize the NASA Youth Exploration Strategy Workshop on July 12-14. The plan is to capture the ideas and creativity of youth in the US to help guide NASA as they map out the execution of the Vision for Space Exploration. It's an ambitious project with a short timeline--and Jen is just the person to make it happen!

GO JEN, GO!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay!